Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Jedha Meets a 'Very Smelly Kitty'....


So last night I let out the dogs and of course Jedha, our Lab Mix wanted to stay outside just a little bit longer, so Taffy and I went inside without him. On our way in Taffy suddenly stopped and put his nose in the air, looked up, and at the front gate, but I didn't see, hear, or smell anything, so we both continued on inside. Well in just a few minutes I could hear the jingle of Jedha's collar so I figured the knucklehead now was ready to come in. So, I open the side door and to my horror I see a baby skunk staring at me only about some 15 feet away! I grabbed Jedha, although in hindsight probably really didn't need to as he just wanted to get IN! and away from that REALLY smelly 'kitty cat'...see in Australia they don't have skunks, boy are they missing out huh?! Anyway, the smell was horrendous, although luckily? for Jedha it was a baby and either had bad aim or maybe the stream doesn't go that high when they are young, regardless he was mainly hit on his chest, not his head. I called up the vet and they said to mix 1 quart of peroxide, 1/4c. baking soda, and 1 tsp. dish soap and leave that on for about 15 minutes. So, I made the mixture and scrubbed it all over Jedha Boy's fur and we waited...he whimpered a bit, but after 15 minutes we washed it off and he did seem to not smell as much. I know from experience though that the stinkiness will last, oh probably a good 2-3 months, as this is what happened with our 1st Golden Retriever years ago when she had a run-in with a skunk. Anyway, we are really thankful all is well now and that it was a baby smelly 'kitty-cat' Jedha met and not the Mommy smelly 'kitty-cat' because I have a feeling the outcome would've been heaps worse! Welcome to America Jedha-Boy!
Bookmark and Share

No comments:

Post a Comment